Monday, October 25, 2004

Bogus new rights claim of the day

Reading the Libertarian Jackass blog is what brought my attention to what's going on in San Francisco right now. The story he refers to, found here, is about San Francisco's mayor declaring that all San Franciscans should have access to free wireless internet service. In his own words:
"We will not stop until every San Franciscan has access to free wireless Internet service," he said in his annual state of the city address. "These technologies will connect our residents to the skills and the jobs of the new economy."

"No San Franciscan should be without a computer and a broadband connection."

First of all, his refernce to the "new economy" is laughable. Secondly, this is yet another example of a bogus rights claim that should not be taken seriously. It seems as if Newsom feels that such a claim will do wonders for his chances at reelection down the road.

The only rights claims that should be taken seriously are natural rights. I certainly didn't have an inalienable right to free wireless internet access when I was born; there wasn't even an internet at that time!

By the way, I happen to still lag behind in the world of dial-up internet connections. Would I like to upgrade to broadband? Sure. Would I ever ask the government to provide it for me? Never! I don't see how my life, liberty, and property is going to suffer if my internet activities continue to crawl at 56k speed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home