Monday, February 21, 2005

Entretien de Pinot Noir et autre vins

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Despite three years of French classes back in high school, I don't really know jack about the French language aside from a few bits and pieces. For those who know as much as I do or less, the title of this post means something close to this: talk of Pinot Noir and other wines. I don't really know jack about wines either, but I know enough to want to write a brief post about them.

I've only become interested in wines rather recently. I used to like the cheap white wine that my parents like to drink while not liking most of the red wine I've encountered in the past, making me think that I'd probably be more of a white wine person. That changed after reading this article by Bill Sardi about Pinot Noir wines awhile back on LRC. Because of the promising health benefits of drinking Pinot Noir wine in particular, I decided to give it a try. I love it! The types I've tried have been smooth and fruity without being real dry or acidic, which are traits that I like.

There is a recent movie called "Sideways" that features a lot of wine talk, and the main character is apparently a big Pinot Noir fan. I haven't seen the flick, but I did read this article from Yahoo News today about the movie's effect on Pinot Noir sales. It is apparently a more obscure variety of wine that is now gaining in popularity thanks to this movie.

I also happened to hear through the grapevine today about some of the wines available at the Trader Joe's grocery chain. There is apparently a glut of grapes out in California right now due to overplanting in the '90s., which is one of the reasons for wine prices coming down in recent years. The Charles Shaw winery out in California turned a lot of these grapes into wine that is being exclusively sold at Trader Joe's. Depending on location, bottles of their wine are between $1.99 and $3.39, and they're supposed to be a lot better than their incredibly low prices suggest.

Although I immediately came across a piece by some wine snob trashing the wine upon doing a Google search for Charles Shaw wine, the person I heard this from has worked in fine restaraunts and seems to know quite a bit about wine. The wine has also apparently recieved rave reviews from many others out there, so I'm going to give some a try the next time I go to Trader Joe's. Charles Shaw doesn't make a Pinot Noir, so I'll try whatever they have in stock. For that price, you can't go wrong! Here is a link to Trader Joe's page about these wines.

4 Comments:

Blogger freeman said...

Heh... I'm definitely not a wine snob. In fact, I even mentioned that I don't really know jack about the subject other than those things that I linked to. There's nothing wrong with enjoying all of the varieties of alcohol that wise and benevolent people have made available to us! And because I'm not a wine snob, I have no idea what "forsooth" means. It sounds cool though.

By the way, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale rocks! I'm definitely a beer first, wine second kind of guy, and there's nothing better than a good pale ale.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Wally Conger said...

You might be interested in the fact that there really is no Charles Shaw Winery here in California. It's a completely bogus label for cheap (but pretty damn good) wines ground out exclusively for Trader Joe's.

10:51 AM  
Blogger freeman said...

Thanks for the clarification, Wally. I plan on buying a bottle or two later this week.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Isis said...

Interesting post; I had not read that article about Sinclair's research. There's just one thing I don't understand. If other red wines contain less of the miracle chemical than pinot noir, then isn't the better answer to just drink MORE of the other kinds? Heck, you can drink ten times the white wine in search of the longevity chemical!

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home