Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Automaker promotes walking!

Now here's something you don't see everyday.

Walk to work, carmaker tells staff

In case you don't care to click on the link, here's the opening of the article:
TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- Japanese automaker Mazda Motor Corp. is recommending its employees walk to the office, rather than drive, to improve their health and protect the environment, a company spokesman said Friday.

Those meeting a set of requirements by going to office on foot are eligible to receive 1,500 yen ($12) a month, Mazda spokesman Ken Haruki said.


Neato. And quite surprising coming from an automaker.

I may not walk to work, but I do ride the bus and get off at a stop further away from work so that I have to walk for about 15 minutes to get to work. I also have a 15 minute walk home from the bus station after work. I may have to fork over $1 to ride the bus, but it sure beats paying for gas, insurance, maintenence, and other expenses that go along with car ownership.

(link via A day in the life of Fred, a blog I discovered through Wolfesblog)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jay Jardine said...

I love cars, but I hate driving them in the city (this city in particular)

In addition to the cost savings and fresh air I get from the walk to the Skytrain station, my mental health and blood pressure have improved noticeably.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home