Monday, March 20, 2006

iraq progress report

Reason recently published an Iraq progress report consisting of a Q&A session with "a wide range of libertarian, conservative, and freedom-minded journalists and academics". There are a number of liberventionists that were included, and even Christopher Hitchens, meaning that the whole "freedom-minded" thing wasn't really that accurate.

Not only have I been against the invasion of Iraq since it was first conceived, but I've been a critic of American foreign policy in general for years. The concept that some refer to as blowback is something that was on my mind on 9/11 upon hearing of the terrorist attacks, and I knew right then that the likely response by the government would make things worse. My skepticism of and opposition to the war machine hasn't wavered one bit since then.

With my opinion out of the way, I thought I'd quote the two best Q&As from the Reason piece. A number of good statements were made, but the best responses, in my opinion, came from Wendy McElroy and Robert Anton Wilson:
Wendy McElroy

1. Did you support the invasion of Iraq?

I opposed the invasion on both principled and practical grounds

2. Have you changed your position?

My opposition has deepened as the war has exceeded my worst fears in duration, blatant economic motives, political incompetence and military brutality.

3. What should the U.S. do in Iraq now?

Get out right now. Declare victory, declare defeat, remember a pressing engagement back home... it doesn't matter what reason is given. Get out immediately.

Robert Anton Wilson

1. Did you support the invasion of Iraq?

No. I loathe invasions and occupations and all violence against non-invasive individuals.

2. Have you changed your position?

Yes. I oppose the invasion even more vehemently, since Bush has used it as an excuse to destroy the last few tattered remnants of the Bill of Rights.

3. What should the U.S. do in Iraq now?

Stop killing people, bring the troops home, and rebuild Katrina damage. (But they never listen to me.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home