Saturday, October 16, 2004

Quote and Music of the day 10/16/04

This is the first of my daily installments of two things: a quote of the day and a select musical choice of the day. Why? Because I wanna.

Quote of the day:
"I'll show you politics in America; here it is, right here: I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs! I think the puppet on the left is more to my liking! Hey wait a minute, there's one guy holding up both puppets! Shut up! Go back to bed America, your government is in control.. here's Love Connection; watch this and get fat and stupid! By the way, keep drinking beer, you fucking morons!"
- Bill Hicks

Music of the day:
Jenny Scheinman's Shalagaster

I saw her perform the music of this album last night in Ann Arbor as part of the annual Edgefest and was hooked by this wonderful music that I guess you could call folk-jazz with a bit of a Jewish flavor. Don't take that as a sort of genre definition though since I'm generally anti-genre, especially when dealing with instrumental music that pushes boundaries and seems to hold traditional notions of classification in contempt.

The group that performed last night wasn't quite the same as the one on the album. Aside from Scheinman (violin) and Myra Melford (piano & harmonium) who are on the album, the lineup included Ron Miles on trumpet, Todd Sickafoose on bass, and Mark Ferber on drums. I was familiar with Sickafoose from his great work with musicians I dig such as Scott Amendola and Nels Cline, but I was really impressed by Ferber who I hadn't listened to before prior to last night. While I'm normally not fond of the trumpet, Miles certainly was a positive addition to the group and it just seemed appropriate for there to be a trumpet involved with the type of music that they were playing. Scheinman and Melford were of course great on their respective instruments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home