Saturday, July 16, 2005

Breakfast Booze

Jeffrey Tucker wrote a rather delightful piece about the lost art of breakfast drinking for the weekend edition of LRC.

I've always been a fan of lighter beers myself, like pale ales, amber ales and wheat beers, but I do enjoy an occasional Guinness. The following suggestion for morning consumption of Guinness made by Tucker makes my mouth water, I must admit.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us + Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

As Tucker put it:
I was reminded of this tradition recently when a friend – a brilliant and productive young composer and musicologist who has to remain nameless – partook in his favorite breakfast, which he does every day insofar as it is possible. The food part is simple: a chocolate cake donut, with or without icing. The drink part: a pint of Guinness Stout. The method: dip the donut in the stout and chomp it down. It is the adult version of the child’s milk and cookies trick.

Splendid!


I'm sure that my friend Lazlo, a big Guinness fan, will be likely trying this out soon as well.

Tucker describes quite a few concoctions that go down well in the morning hours, including the yummy drink known as mimosa. Bloody Marys are a popular such drink, but I've never cared for them myself.

Equally appealing are Tucker's reactions to these various drinks. Here is my favorite:
Along the same lines there is rum and 7-up, rum and apple cider, and this interesting one just called "The Breakfast Drink": jigger Vodka, jigger Peach Schnapps, cup of Orange Juice, 2 jiggers raspberry Liqueur, ½ cup of Collins mix. Fascinating!

I've never heard of a drink being referred to as "fascinating" before. I like it.

I was surprised though that he didn't mention a drink that I'm aware of that would make a good breakfast drink: Sangría. It may not be a traditional morning drink, but I bet it would be a good one.

Riveting!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've not yet had this for breakfast yet, but I bet it'd be good : a bat bite. Dark rum and cranberry juice ... I don't remember the proportions; I usually just slog some hooch into a glass and fill it with whatever else goes in there. Which reminds me: rum, cranberry juice, and orange juice (in increasing order of proportion) is also really good.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

While watching some sort of coverage of the Bush/Gore battle during a breakfast party at a friends house, we whipped up a variation on the mimosa using grapefruit juice instead of orange and dubbed the drink "The Hanging Chad".

2:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kirsten, that sounds yummy! I love grapefruit, and grapefruit juice.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There's nothing like a pair of Weisswurst and a Weissbier at 10am to carry you over to lunchtime. In my part of Bavaria, we called it Frühschoppen.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home