Friday, July 22, 2005

Taking the trend of blurring the lines between news and entertainment to new heights

I'm not the type of person who watches television news. I consider it to be a joke.

I happened to glance at a boob tube that was tuned in to Fox News a few moments ago, but the sound was off. No sound was necessary however to have my views towards tv news reaffirmed.

The subject being covered at the moment was homeland security. The guest they had on who was presumably providing all sorts of astute commentary about the state of homeland security and how it most likely needs to be strengthened was...

Robin Leach

*UPDATE: Here's Butler Shaffer's observation on this trend (from LRC blog):
A Fox Snooze panel discussion of terrorism featured the insights of Ben Stein, noted for being the host of a television game show. Shall we soon be hearing the critical analyses of Howard Stern, Jerry Springer, and Anna Nicole Smith?

2 Comments:

Blogger freeman said...

Well, that would be Butler Shaffer's error in not knowing Stein's past professions and whatnot. I quoted him because his observation fit in nicely with my post. He happens to notice a trend, even if the example he gives doesn't exactly corroborate it.

It also doesn't surprise me that Fox News would seek out his opinions. I don't recall the subject, but I do recall reading some of Stein's opinions a couple of years ago that really disturbed me. I'm not positive, but I think it might have had something to do with praising Henry Kissinger.

3:45 AM  
Blogger jomama said...

I think most people who think about
it realize TV and dead tree news is
just a big propaganda shovel or
distraction machine.

Like, "bring on a famous name or two
or ten. They'll listen."...say the
producers.

Give me an unknown whacko anyday.

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home