Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Quote & Music of the day -- 11/17/04

"The "free market" (as I define it) is the ebb and flow of transactions that occur peacefully between people who have choices, and voices. It does not mean freedom for monstrous people-eating corporations to prey freely on a captive workforce; it means freedom for people to interact without coercion." -- Cat Farmer

*I'd like to thank Strike The Root and BK Marcus for turning me on to the writing of Cat Farmer. I love her witty approach to writing about political issues, which seems rare when dealing with rational work of a libertarian persuasion. I'll be providing more quotes from her for the rest of this week's quote of the day installments.

Ear Candy:
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
Image Hosted by 
<br />ImageShack.us

Despite it's hauntingly dark nature, this is easily the most beautiful rock album I own, making it no surprise to me that The Who's Pete Townshend once referred to it as an "uncanny masterpiece".

The album's opening number, "21st Century Schizoid Man", is a hair-raisingly chaotic anthem that seems almost prophetic to someone like me who is now a part of the maddening 21st century. This song stands apart from the others that, although certainly dramatic, aren't nearly as loud and edgy. This song also has a definite free jazz vibe to it, which adds to my appreciation of it.

"I Talk To The Wind", the 2nd track, is where the calm and the beauty sets in as the band unleashes some choice flute work to go along with the overall dreamy soundscape and solemn lyrics. "Epitaph" and the album's title track are also wonderful songs that send chills down my spine whenever I hear them, while "Moonchild" displays some quiet, minimalistic experimentation that may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Speaking of not being everyone's cup of tea, I noticed an extremely harsh review of this album amongst the number of otherwise positive remarks on the Amazon.com page. Some people seem to think that rock music should comprise solely of edgy, rebellious ditties that one can party to. While I certainly enjoy groups like the Velvet Underground, rock is not a limiting genre that should only follow the dictates of certain tastes. In other words, there is a place in the world of rock & roll for beauty and sophistication. I'd be willing to bet that the negative nancy who trashed King Crimson also happens to like Andy Warhol while dismissing artists like van Gogh as being self-indulgent. I also bet that he cheered the day Jerry Garcia died.

Like it or not people, just because something doesn't fall into your narrow definition of what constitutes "rock music" or "art" doesn't mean that it's crap that belongs in a garbage bin. It all boils down to a phrase that not enough people seem to acknowledge: different strokes for different folks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home